During this phase, life-saving interventions are performed. These include such procedures as intubation, ventilation, cannulation, and fluid resuscitation. At the same time, oxygen is provided, vital signs are recorded, and essential monitoring is established.
From the respiratory viewpoint, do the following:
• Consider jaw- and neck-positioning manoeuvres.
• Administer oxygen.
• Consider suction and foreign body removal.
• Consider mask ventilation, and pharyngeal or tracheal intubation.
• Consider chest decompression.
• Consider needle cricothyroidotomy, if unable to oxygenate by alternative means.
• Initiate pulse oximetry and other monitoring at this time.
Was this article helpful?