1. Contesso H, Mouriesse H, Friedman S, et al. The importance of histologic grade in long-term prognosis of breast cancer: a study of 1,010 patients, uniformly treated at the Institut Gus-tave-Roussy. J Clin Oncol 1987;5;1378-6.
2. Fisher ER, Gregorio RM, Fisher B, et al. The pathology of invasive breast cancer. A syllabus derived from findings of the National Adjuvant Breast Project. Cancer 1975;36:1-85.
3. Donegan WL. Tumor-related prognostic factors for breast cancer. CA Cancer J Clin 1997;47:28-51.
4. Tumor Marker Guideline Panel, American Society
Clinical Oncology. Clinical practice guidelines for the use of tumor markers in breast and col-orectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2843-77.
5. Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group.
Effects of radiotherapy and surgery in early breast cancer. An overview of the randomized trials. N Engl J Med 1995;333:1444-55.
6. Beatson GT. On the treatment of inoperable cases of carcinoma of the mamma: suggestion for a new method of treatment with illustrative cases. Lancet 1996;2:104-7.
7. Locker GY. Hormonal therapy of breast cancer.
Cancer Treat Rev 1998;24:221-40.
8. Desombre ER, Carbone PP, Jensen EV, et al. Spe cial Report. Steroid receptors in breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1979;301:1011-2.
9. Hoogstraten B, Fabian C. A reappraisal of single drugs for advanced breast cancer. Cancer Clin Trials 1979;2:101-98.
11. Bull JM, Tormey DC, Li SH, et al. A randomized comparative trial of adriamycin versus metho-trexate in combination drug therapy. Cancer 1978;41:1649-57.
12. Fisher B, Ravdin RG, Ausman RK, et al. Surgical adjuvant chemotherapy in cancer of the breast: results of a decade of cooperative investigations. Ann Surg 1968;168:337-56.
13. Fisher B, Carbone P, Economou SG, et al. L-Pheny-
lalanine mustard (L-PAM) in the management of primary breast cancer. A report of early findings. N Engl J Med 1975;292:117-22.
14. Bonadonna G, Brusamolino E, Valagussa P, et al.
Combination chemotherapy as an adjuvant treatment in operable breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1976;294:405-10.
15. Engelsman E, Rubens RD, Klign JGM. Compari son of the classical CMF with a three weekly intravenous CMF schedule in postmenopausal patients with advanced breast cancer: an EORTC study. Proceedings of the 4th EORTC Breast cancer Working Conference 1987;1:1.
16. Goldhirsch A, Colleoni M, Coates AS, et al.
Adding adjuvant CMF chemotherapy to either radiotherapy or tamoxifen: are all CMF's alike? the International Breast Cancer Study Group (IBCSG). Ann Oncol 1998;9:489-93.
17. Tancini G, Bonadonna G, Valgussa P, et al. Adju vant CMF in breast cancer: comparative 5 year results of 12 versus 6 cycles. J Clin Oncol 1983;1:2-10.
18. Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative
Group. Systemic treatment of early breast cancer by hormonal, cytotoxic, or immune therapy: 133 randomized trials involving 31,000 recurrences and 24,000 deaths among 75,000 women. Lancet 1992;339:1-15, 71-85.
19. Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative
Group. Polychemotherapy for early breast cancer: an overview of the randomized trials. Lancet 1998;352:930-42.
20. Bagley CS, Wesley MN, Young RC, Lipmann ME.
Adjuvant chemotherapy in males with cancer of the breast. Am J Clin Oncol 1987;6:45-50.
21. Fisher B, Brown AM, Dimitrov NV et al. Two months of doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide with and without interval reinduction therapy compared with 6 months of cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and fluorouracil in positive-node breast cancer patients with tamoxifen-nonre-sponsive tumors: results from the NSABP B-15. J Clin Oncol 1990;8:1483-96.
22. Hutchins L, Green S, Ravdin P, et al. CMF versus
CAF with and without tamoxifen in high risk node-negative breast cancer patients and a natural history follow-up study in low-risk node negative patients: first results of Intergroup Trial INT 102. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1998;17:1a.
23. Moliterni A, Bonadonna G, Valagussa P, et al.
Cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and fluo-rouracil with and without doxorubicin in the adjuvant treatment of resectable breast cancer with one to three positive axillary nodes. J Clin Oncol 1991;9:1124-30.
24. Tormey DC, Gray R, Abeloff MD, et al. Adjuvant therapy with a doxorubicin regimen and long term tamoxifen in premonopausal breast cancer patients: an ECOG trial. J Clin Oncol 1992 1992;10:1848-56.
25. Henderson IC, Berry D, Demetri G, et al.
Improved disease-free and overall survival from the addition of sequential paclitaxel but not from the escalation of doxorubicin dose in the adjuvant chemotherapy of patients with node-positive primary breast cancer. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1998;17:101a.
26. Fisher B, Anderson S, Wickerham DL, et al.
Increased intensification and total dose of cyclophosphamide in a doxorubucin-cyclo-phosphamide regimen for the treatment of primary breast cancer: findings from National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-22. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:1858-69.
27. Wolmark N, Fisher B, Anderson S. The effect of increasing dose intensity and cumulative dose of adjuvant cyclophosphamide in node positive breast cancer: results of NSABP B-25. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1997;46:26.
28. Rodenhuis S, Richel DJ, van der Wall E, et al. A
randomized trial of high-dose chemotherapy and haematopoetic progenitor-cell support in operable breast cancer with extensive axillary node involvement. Lancet 1998;352:515-21.
29. Mouridsen H, Palshof T. Tamoxifen in advanced breast cancer. Cancer Treat Rev 1978;5:131-41.
30. Baum M. Brinkley DM, Dosset JA, et al. Improved survival among patients treated with adjuvant tamoxifen after mastectomy for early breast cancer [letter]. Lancet 1983;2(8347):450.
31. Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative
Group. Tamoxifen for early breast cancer: an overview of the randomized trials. Lancet 1998;351:1451-67.
32. Fisher B, Dignam J, Bryant J, et al. Five versus more than five years of tamoxifen therapy for breast cancer patients with negative lymph nodes and estrogen receptor-positive tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst 1996;88:1529-42.
33. Stewart HJ, Forrest AP, Everington D, et al. Ran domized comparison of 5 years of adjuvant tamoxifen with continuous therapy for operable breast cancer. The Scottish Cancer Trials Breast Group. Br J Cancer 1996;74:297-9.
34. Tormey DC, Gray R, Falkson G. Postchemother-
apy adjuvant tamoxifen therapy beyond five years in patients with lymph node-positive breast cancer. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. J Natl Cancer Inst 1996;88:1828-33.
35. Fisher B, Costantino J, Redmond C. A random ized clinical trial evaluating tamoxifen in the treatment of patients with node negative breast cancer who have estrogen receptor positive tumors. N Engl J Med 1989;320:479-84.
36. Ribeiro G, Swindell R. Adjuvant tamoxifen for male breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1992;65:252-4.
37. Cole MP. A clinical trial of an artificial meno pause in carcinoma of the breast. INSERM 1975;55:143.
38. Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative
Group. Ovarian ablation in early breast cancer: an overview of randomized trials. Lancet 1996;348:1189-96.
Breast Unit. Adjuvant ovarian ablation versus CMF chemotherapy in premenopausal women with pathological stage II breast carcinoma: the Scottish trial. Lancet 1993;341:1293-8.
40. Davidson NE. Ovarian ablation as treatment for young women with breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monographs 1994;16:95-9.
41. Focan C, Beaudin M, Salamon E. Adjuvant high dose medroxyprogesterone for early breast cancer: 13 years update of a multicenter randomized trial. Eur J Oncol 1998;(Suppl 1):34.
42. Pannuti F, Martoni A, Cilenti G, et al. Adjuvant therapy for operable breast cancer with medroxyprogesterone acetate alone in post-menopausal patients or in combination with CMF in premenopausal patients. Eur J Cancer Clin Oncol 1988;24:423-9.
43. Jones AL, Powles TJ, Law M, et al. Adjuvant aminoglutethimide for postmenopausal patients with primary breast cancer: analysis at 8 years. J Clin Oncol 1992;10:1547-52.
44. Fisher B, Dignam J, DeCillis A, et al. The worth of chemotherapy and tamoxifen (TAM) over TAM alone in node negative patients with estrogen-receptor positive invasive breast cancer: first results from NSABP B-20 [abstract]. Proc Ann Meet Am Soc Clin Oncol 1997;16:1a.
45. Albain K, Green S, Osborne CK, et al. Tamoxifen
(T) versus cyclophosphamide, adriamycin and 5-FU plus either concurrent or sequential T in postmenopausal receptor (+), node (+) breast cancer: a Southwest Oncology Group phase III inter-group (SWOG-8814, INT-0100) [abstract]. Proc Ann Meet Am Soc Clin Oncol 1997;16:128a.
46. International Breast Cancer Study Group. Effec tiveness of adjuvant chemotherapy in combination with tamoxifen for node-positive post-menopausal breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:1385-94.
47. Pritchard KI, Paterson AH, Fine S, et al. Random ized trial of cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and fluorouracil chemotherapy added to tamox-ifen as adjuvant therapy in postmenopausal women with node-positive estrogen and/or progesterone receptor-positive breast cancer: a report of the National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:2302-11.
48. Bonadonna G, Valagussa P. Primary chemother apy in operable breast cancer. Semin Oncol 1996;23:464-74.
49. Fisher B, Bryant J, Wolmark N, et al. Effect of preoperative chemotherapy on the outcome of women with operable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:2672-85.
50. Fisher B, Brown A, Mamounas E, et al. Effect of preoperative chemotherapy on local-regional disease in women with operable breast cancer: findings from NSABP B-18. J Clin Oncol 1997;15:2483-93.
51. Willsher PC, Robertson JFR, Chan SY, et al.
Locally advanced breast cancer: early results of a randomized trial of multimodal therapy versus initial hormone therapy. Eur J Cancer 1997;33:45-9.
52. Wolmark N, Dignam J, Fisher B. The addition of tamoxifen to lumpectomy and radiotherapy in the treatment of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS): preliminary results of NSABP protocol B-24. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998;50:227.
53. Paik S, Bryant J, Park C, et al. ErbB-2 and response to doxorubicin in patients with axil lary lymph node-positive, hormone receptor-negative breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 1998; 90:1361-70.
54. Thor AD, Berry DA, Budman DR, et al. ErbB-2, p53, and efficacy of adjuvant therapy in lymph node-positive breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Institute 1998;90:1346-60.
amplification is associated with tamoxifen resistance in steroid-receptor positive breast cancer. Cancer Lett 1994;81:137-44.
56. Carlomagno C, Perrone F, Gallo C, et al. C-erbB-
2 overexpression decreases the benefit of adjuvant tamoxifen in early-stage breast cancer without axillary node metastases. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2702-8.
57. Soubeyran I, Quenel N, Coindre JM, et al. PS2 pro tein: a marker improving prediction of response to neoadjuvant tamoxifen in post-menopausal breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1996;74:1120-5.
58. Berns EM, Foekens JA, van Staveren IL, et al.
Oncogene amplication and prognosis in breast cancer: relationship with systemic treatment. Gene 1995;159:11-8.
59. Gelber RD, Cole BF, Goldhirsch A, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy plus tamoxifen compared with tamoxifen alone for postmenopausal breast cancer: meta-analysis of quality-adjusted survival. Lancet 1996;347:1066-71.
60. Bines J, Oleske DM, Cobleigh MA. Ovarian func tion in premenopausal women treated with adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:1718-29.
61. Von Hoff D, Layard MW, Basa P, et al. Risk fac tors for doxorubicin-induced congestive heart failure. Ann Int Med 1979;91:710-7.
mogenic potential of adjuvant chemotherapy for early-stage breast cancer: the ECOG experience. J Clin Oncol 1995;13:1557-63.
63. Valagussa P, Tancini G, Bonadonna G. Second malignancies after CMF for resectable breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 1987;5:1138-42.
64. Diamandidou E, Buzdar AU, Smith TL, et al.
Treatment-related leukemia in breast cancer patients treated with fluorouracil-doxorubicin-cyclophosphamide combination adjuvant chemotherapy: the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:2722-30.
65. DeCillis A, Anderson A, Bryant J, et al. Acute myloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome on NSABP B-25: an update. Proc Am Soc Clin Oncol 1997;16:130a.
66. Gorin MB, Day R, Costantino JP, et al. Long-term tamoxifen citrate use and potential ocular toxicity. Am J Ophthalmol 1998;125:493-501.
67. Jordan VC, Assikis VJ. Endometrial carcinoma and tamoxifen: clearing up a controversy. Clin Cancer Res 1995;1:467-72.
68. Rutqvist LE, Johansson H, Signomklao T, et al.
Adjuvant tamoxifen therapy for early stage breast cancer and second primary malignancies. J Natl Cancer Inst 1995;87:645-51.
69. Fisher B, Costantino JP, Redmond CK, et al.
Endometrial cancer in tamoxifen-treated breast cancer patients: findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) B-14. J Natl Cancer Inst 1994;86: 527-37.
70. Magriples U, Naftolin F, Schwartz PE, Carcangiu
ML. High-grade endometrial carcinoma in tamoxifen-treated breast cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:485-90.
71. Fisher B, Costantino JP, Wickerham DL, et al.
Tamoxifen for the prevention of breast cancer: report of the NSABP P-1 study. J Natl Cancer Inst 1998;90:1371-88.
72. Love RR, Mazess RB, Barden HS, et al. Effects of tamoxifen on bone mineral density in post-menopausal women with breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1992;326:852-6.
73. Kristen B, Ejlertsen B, Dalgaard P, et al. Tamox-
ifen and bone metabolism in postmenopausal low-risk breast cancer patients: a randomized study. J Clin Oncol 1994;12:992-7.
74. Powles TJ, Hickish T, Kanis JA, et al. Effect of tamoxifen on bone mineral density measured by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in healthy premenopausal and postmenopausal women. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:78-84.
75. Love RR, Wiebe DA, Feyzi JM, et al. Effects of tamoxifen on cardiovascular risk factors in postmenopausal women after 5 years of treatment. J Natl Cancer Inst 1994;86:1534-9.
76. McDonald CC, Alexander FE, Whyte BW, et al.
Cardiac and vascular morbidity in women receiving adjuvant tamoxifen for breast cancer in a randomized trial. The Scottish Cancer Trials Breast Group. Br Med J 1995;311:977-80.
77. Costantino JP, Kuller LH, Ives DG, et al. Coro nary heart disease mortality and adjuvant tamoxifen therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst 1997; 89:776-82.
78. Rutqvist LE, Mattsson A. Cardiac and throm-
boembolic morbidity among post menopausal women with early-stage breast cancer in a randomized trial of adjuvant tamoxifen. The Stockholm Breast Cancer Study Group. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993;85:1398-406
79. Recht A, Come SE, Henderson IC, et al. The sequencing of chemotherapy and radiation therapy after conservative surgery for early-stage breast cancer. N Engl J Med 1996;334:1356-61.
Was this article helpful?
Are Menopause Symptoms Playing Havoc With Your Health and Relationships? Are you tired of the mood swings, dryness, hair loss and wrinkles that come with the change of life? Do you want to do something about it but are wary of taking the estrogen or antidepressants usually prescribed for menopause symptoms?