• The patient may tolerate weight bearing with a Zimmer splint.
• By day 7, the patient should be full weight bearing using only the splint.
• The extension splint must be worn at night until full extension is obtained.
• Walking should be minimized to decrease swelling of the leg.
• The extension splint may be removed for exercise on the CPM and for bathing, sitting, and resting.
• When the wounds have healed, the functional knee brace may be used rather than the extension splint.
Was this article helpful?