• Vigorous pivoting activities may be resumed if the reconstructed knee is 90% of the strength of the opposite knee.
• It is advisable to wear the functional knee brace for first year postoperatively. The use of the brace may be discontinued when the patient has confidence in the knee. This may take as long as 18 months.
• Lateral and pivotal exercises may be started. Start figure-eight exercises with large, lazy eights and then decrease the eight in size and
increase speed (start with 50m, then progress 30m, and finally 10m) (repeat each 10 times).
• Carioca: Running sideways. Cross the left foot in front of and behind right foot for 10 m and then reverse pattern and direction (repeat 5 to 10 times in each direction).
• Directional run: Facing the same direction, run forward, sideways, backward, and sideways, 10 m in a square (repeat 5 to 10 times in each direction).
• Run: Cut 90° running half speed, go 20 m and make a 90° cut to the right, and then repeat to the left (repeat 10 to 20 times in each direction).
Was this article helpful?