General practitioner Practice nurse
Retinal screening staff
The many important roles of the diabetes specialist nurse are closely linked to those of consultants, and can be summarised as follows:
• treatment of individual patients, linked with advice and counselling, establishing the right techniques and motivation needed to achieve proper diabetic management and control
• care of patients in hospital wards
• education of patients and professionals (see below)
• involvement in community care
• research, audit, and setting standards.
Consultant nurses have been established recently, with the aim both of enhancing clinical care and stimulating research and service innovations as well.
Was this article helpful?