Figure 1720

Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis accounts for 7% to 10% of patients requiring renal replacement therapy. The overall recurrence rate is approximately 20% to 30% [1,4,31]. These numbers, however, may be an underestimate because of biopsy sampling errors. Patients at high risk for recurrence can be identified, particularly children with rapid evolution of their original disease and mesangial expansion on biopsy [1,32]. Recurrence manifests with proteinuria (often 10-40 g/d), developing hours to weeks after transplantation. In children the mean time to recurrence is 14 days. Recurrence is not benign and leads to graft loss in up to half of patients. Patients at highest risk for recurrence should not receive grafts from living related donors.

0 0

Post a comment