When you have completed this section, you should be able to
• recognize elements of the human body from their chemical symbols;
• distinguish between chemical elements and compounds;
• state the functions of minerals in the body;
• explain the basis for radioactivity and the types and hazards of ionizing radiation;
• distinguish between ions, electrolytes, and free radicals; and
• define the types of chemical bonds.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.