When you have completed this section, you should be able to
• explain why carbon is especially well suited to serve as the structural foundation of many biological molecules;
• identify some common functional groups of organic molecules from their formulae;
• discuss the relevance of polymers to biology and explain how they are formed and broken by dehydration synthesis and hydrolysis;
• discuss the types and functions of carbohydrates;
• discuss the types and functions of lipids;
• discuss protein structure and function;
• explain how enzymes function;
• describe the structure, production, and function of ATP;
• identify other nucleotide types and their functions;
• identify the principal types of nucleic acids.
Was this article helpful?
This ebook provides an introductory explanation of the workings of the human body, with an effort to draw connections between the body systems and explain their interdependencies. A framework for the book is homeostasis and how the body maintains balance within each system. This is intended as a first introduction to physiology for a college-level course.